Monday 24 October 2016

River Wrap Up

Naturally when we first started out on August 6th we had preconceived ideas of what this river trip was going to be like.  Harley wanted to come this way because it was different from anything we have done before. I was apposed to the idea but went along with it agreeing that it would be an adventure if nothing else. 

When we entered the system on September 5th I was expecting a fast running river full, of obstacles, lined with industry, commercial traffic, and no sailboats.  Harley was expecting much of the same but knew we'd meet lots of interesting people and see a part of the world that not many get to see or experience. 

We've been on the river for two months and for the first two weeks I was saying to Harley, "see, I told you so!"  (Sorry Harley! xoxo) (Truth be told, he was saying "you were right!") 

The first river, the Illinois River wasn't bad at all, especially compared to the Mississippi, which was every nightmare I imagined.  But once we turned on to the Ohio River it was like entering a whole new world.  All of a sudden the current was gone, the debris was gone, and the scenery became wild and wonderful.

Belive it or not it just kept getting better and better.  What has surprised me the most is the amount of wildlife and wilderness we've seen.  If I  were to estimate, I would say this whole river system is 90% wilderness!  Not what I was expecting AT ALL! .... and a very pleasant surprise indeed.  At times it felt very jungle-like and at others it felt like northern Ontario. 

Having done the Intercoastal Waterway six years ago, I am now so very happy we came this way....this time.   Make no mistake, the intercoastal was wonderful and we loved it.  Every turn was new and exciting, but if we had gone that way again it would have been "ho hum...are we there yet?"  Coming this way has brought back the excitement and newness that we seem to crave.  Thank you Harley for talking me into this.  You were right!

We are only 35 miles outside of Mobile Alabama...the end of the river.   We could be there by now but, like I mentioned before, our mast isn't due to be there for four more days.  This anchorage is quiet and remote with a resident alligator.   (Yes, I finally got to see them.....big ones!)  We're going to stay here for the day then move down the river to another anchorage.  We called Turner Marine to let them know we will be there on Thursday when the mast arrives......but more about that....next time. 

12 comments:

  1. Keep the posts up mom they are great! Glad you guys liked the river system. The adventure seemed awesome. You may have passed on that adventure spirit to me. Just about to road trip to surf in tofino this week. Going to go ski touring climbing and biking on the way. Will be thinking of you on the way.

    Like the picture of Boss Daddy Armstrong captaining his vessel. Anne is right man buns are in.. I'm expecting that by the time your back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice you are so funny. You got your 'alligator'. I'm loving the wildness of your rivers as well. Not the current. But the landscapes and animals (and people sometimes HA!). N,x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dislike it when they say the author has deleted something. It was just a repeat (a hiccup) of my above comment. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happenew to me too Norma. Don't worry about it.

      Delete
    2. That has happenew to me too Norma. Don't worry about it.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Two (read two) thumbs up! N,x

      Delete
  5. I like the beard Harley..not sure about Kyle's encouragement for a man bun..lol
    Janice, you are a very good writer! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janice I'm loving your pictures I've been showing liam ,he was super excited to see the gator pic it's his new favorite animal he said to tell you to take more pictures !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous picture of you Harley. Great job Janice! I look forward to reading your blogs - so entertaining and informative and your pictures are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a handsome, cool looking dude! You look so chill Harley, I hope you both feel that way too :)

    ReplyDelete