Friday 3 March 2017

You Win Some You Lose Some

So here we are, back in George Town, all settled in and back in the groove.  The trip and the flight over from Florida went smoothly.  It was wonderful to come back and find Folly just as we left her.  A big thanks goes out to Pat and Lynn and all our friends in Hole 2 who kept an eye on her in our absence.

The George Town Cruising Regatta is in full swing right now and yesterday was the "around the island" race.  Harley and Pat were fortunate enough to be invited to crew on Triad and it was a great day.  It became even better when Triad came in first!  Believe it or not, they crossed the line 1 hr. and 3 min. ahead of the second place boat, came in first in class, and first overall.  This will mean nothing to our non-racing friends ..... but Triad has a PHRF rating of -30!  Well done!

We left the awards ceremony in great spirits but, due to much carelessness on my part,  I ruined the mood by dropping my prescription glasses in the water.  Now, if this was the first time I've done this it might have been excusable but sadly it is not.  The first time I lost them I was exiting Adamant 1 after happy hour one evening.  It was twilight and the bottom was just barely visible.  Harley jumped in and saved the day.   This time ..... not a chance.  It was dark and, besides that, the water at the dinghy dock is gross!

First thing this morning, determined to retrieve them, I headed into town.  Understandably, Harley had no sympathy for me.  I got myself into this mess so it was up to me to get myself out of it.  I donned my mask and snorkel and after a few silent prayers I jumped into that icky water.  (Anyone who has been to the dinghy dock in Lake Victoria knows what I mean.)  It took a few tries but I got them!  I also have a few scrapes on my backside from brushing up against all the growth on the underside of the dock!  Yuk!  I will staple my glasses to my head if it means I will never have to go through that again. 

Today is the last day of Regatta so tonight promisses to be a festive one.  That will be it for us as far as George Town is concerned.   It's time to move on.  From here we will start heading north to Abaco on the first weather window.  We plan to spend our last month or so there...

...but...more about that. ...next time.

Our Island Hopper Plane
Triad crossing the finish line
Triad at anchor
The happy crew!  First place!
The sun setting at Chat n Chill during closing ceremonies. 

1 comment:

  1. This is my total favourite boat of the bunch. My money'd been on that one for sure. Hip Hip Hurrah to the crew. Congratulations and pop the bubbly. Janice you are a force. Make sure to put lots of antiseptic stuff on those scratches. Ewwwww. N,x

    ReplyDelete