Friday 10 March 2017

Fish On

At 0700 this morning we pulled up the anchor.  Leaving George Town in our wake, we left through Conch Cut with dolphins leading the way.  Black Point is our destination today as we start bumping our way up the Exuma chain. 

As usual we had our fishing lines out but, if you've been following, you know the only kind of fish we catch are the frozen variety that you find in the supermarket.  Today, however, we actually caught a small tuna.  I landed the poor thing onto the swim platform then into the cockpit.  We tried to put it out of it's misery by pouring rum down it's throat but that made it worse as it flipped, flapped and vibrated all over the place.  I don't know who was more traumatized. ...the fish or me.  Of course it eventually expired.

We had to get out one of my cookbooks to get instructions on how to fillet this creature.  Together Harley and I worked on it and in the end I think we did a pretty good job; not bad for our first attempt.   By the time we were finished with whole ordeal the cockpit looked like a crime scene.  We spent the next hour cleaning up the blood that had splattered everywhere!

The line is out again but I honestly hope we don't catch another one. 

That's all for now.  We expect to arrive in Black Point around 5 pm today but ...

More about that next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment