Friday 16 December 2016

Motor/sailing Over the Banks

Here we are in Waderick Wells with scenery out of this world, but the fact that there is no internet or cell phone coverage makes us feel like we are on another planet.   When we asked at the park office they explained that the communication tower was destroyed in hurricane Matthew.   Feeling bad, the girl in the office said if I stand  in this corner, and hold my tongue like that, I might get enough signal to send this, so....here goes....

Once the wind calmed a bit we left Nassau but not before we did a tour of the island.  Surprisingly,  with the many times we've been to Nassau, we've never done that.   This was as good a time as any to check it out.  Our taxi driver/tour guide did a great job showing us around.

On Tuesday morning we (and a bunch of other sailboats) left motoring ..... straight into the wind.  It wasn’t ideal but better than staying in Nassau another day.  We motor/sailed to Highborne Cay about 36 miles over the Yellow Banks.  At times I had to stand watch, at the bow, to direct Harley, at the helm, around coral heads but it was a beautiful sunny day and spotting them was easy.  We dropped anchor at Highborne Cay before 3:00 ..... early enough to have a nice swim and snorkel around the boat.

Wednesday we left .... motoring again as the sea condition was flat calm.  Yes we are a sailboat but at times dead calm is not so bad.  When it's like this we get to see the bottom and it feels like we are floating on air.  It's sooooo cool! 

Like I mentioned, we are presently in the spectacular mooring field in the Land and Sea Park at Waderick Wells.  We have lots to tell you and many pictures ....but....more about that ...  next time!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Janice. You are in such a beautiful spot. Truly a gift from God:) My son is wondering what is in the third picture. He says he sees something under the water. Please help ease his inquiring 10 year old mind:)
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is our shadow in the water. If you look closely you can see me waving,
    !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is our shadow in the water. If you look closely you can see me waving,
    !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't drink beer (WHAT is wrong with me!?) but I'd drink that one. N,x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink beer (WHAT is wrong with me!?) but I'd drink that one. N,x

    ReplyDelete