Thursday 2 February 2017

A Glorious Week.

Long Island was amazing and we had a wonderful stay there.  The locals are awsome and mix well with the many cruisers that come to visit, which gives the island a delightful welcoming vibe.  We filled our days walking the beaches, going to the market, and poking around with the dinghy.  If that's all we did I would have been totally blissed out as nothing spells happiness for me more than a beautiful beach and settling into island life.

But just like everywhere else, the cruisers here love to socialize. There was barely enough time to chill out before we were off again for snacks and sundowners on the beach, or happy hour at the Sou' Side bar and grill.  It was all great fun and we met some great folks. 

Thompson Bay is huge with good holding and well protected from everything but a west wind.  The wind did pick up and turned around while we were there but it was nothing serious and we felt snug and secure.  Everything on Long Island was relaxed and comfortable and I can see why many cruisers make it this far and stay for the season.  However that's not us.

After a fantastic sail on the way back to Georgetown, we stopped at Hog Cay, which is at the top end of Long Island and oh what a beautiful anchorage we found!   A big thanks goes out to Bill on Charisma who told us about this  his "secret" spot.  The beach was pristine, and apparently the snorkeling was incredible with lobster just waiting to be caught.  We would have loved to stay another day in this little slice of heaven to check it all out but the weather was also perfect to carry on the next day so ... on we went.

We had another stellar sail the following day and we are now anchored, once again at Monument Beach here in good ole Georgetown.  I am lying in the hammock as I'm writing this.  The breeze is warm and I'm gently swaying back and forth with the motion of the boat.  There definitely isn't a more comfortable spot on the boat than this!   Awww... I may just stay here all day.  Oh, and look at this...Harley just handed me a nice cold drink.  Life is good!

Tomorrow we are moving onto a mooring ball again in "hole 2".  Why you  you ask!  Because, believe it or not, we are flying home for a visit.  As crazy as it sounds we do have our reasons.  But .....

More about that....next time.

The dinghy dock at Long Island

The beach at Hog Cay
Um...shells?
Galliot Cut
Another one bites the dust
The conch horn gets blow as the sun sets
Doing the blog while swinging in the hammock 
Monument beach
Another view from my favorite spot on the boat.
One lonely cloud

1 comment:

  1. Hey chick! So I made a comment here using my cell and couldn't figure out how to publish and then lost it. I am amazed at what you do with your phone, Janice. Everything. Right? I'm new to them but am slowly getting with the program. I ask complete strangers to help. I assess first, of course. But strangers have helped me to do wifi in public (swiping procedure) and how to use the moovit app, though I've yet to try it by myself. Okay enough about me. HA! I wanted to say that it's awesome that you can be flying above the earth, and look down and think that your portable water home is floating on that globe waiting for you whenever you return to it. In my mind's eye, if I pan out, I see the globe earth floating, with air vehicles flying around it, and imagine the whole scene. So awesome. Oh, maybe this is just an acid flashback. Sorry... HA! I love the blowing of the shell, it reminds me of here in Vancouver. We have a 12 noon fog horn that plays "Oh Canada" and a 9 o'clock gun (a real cannon that gets loaded up)that is fired off from Stanley Park. Way cool. A treat for me to see you laying in a hammock, sipping on umbrella drink(s) and getting caught up on social media. Bless you two. Love N,x

    ReplyDelete