Saturday 10 September 2016

In my Opinion. ...

As you all know this Blog is writen through my eyes and the opinions here are mine and not necessarily that of the group.  So here goes....I am not thrilled with this river stuff. 
 
For one thing, you have to have your wits about ya.  There are huge barges coming at you from both directions and locks and a current to contend with; not to mention debris in the water, such as partially submerged logs that can be barely seen through the water, which is the colour and clarity of chocolate milk.
 
Going through downtown Chicago was AMAZING though, I must say, with the skyscrapers towering over our heads. This whole river experience is worth it just for that in my opinion.   Even the water is clean in the city but just two miles out of the city ... all that changes. 
 
When we are not going through an industrial area, the scenery is awsome though, with a lot of interesting waterfowl.  I'm not sure what they all are actually.  Maybe someone can tell me. There are lots of Blue Herrons, and White Cranes and hundreds of birds that look like storkes.  (I invite anyone to correct me on that.  See pictures )  Adamant 1 even saw a deer!
 
The first night's stop was at Joliet where we tied to the wall and met a bunch of other "loopers".  Happy hour was fun that evening!  Last night we dropped the hook behind an island with a strong current running past us.  That was interesting!
 
Today we go to Ottawa, Illinois.  We've been promised that things will get better and better as we go.  I have faith.
 
But more about that....next time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Okay I get the wits aboutcha part. I'm with you there Janice. But so far the images are exciting! Hey, you might paint some of these birds one of these days. HA! Love, N.x

    ReplyDelete